As written in Act 222 – Malaysian Craft Development Corporation Act 1979, Kraftangan Malaysia has the following functions and roles:
- To develop and where needed, encourage and restore traditional skills and craftsmanship
- To encourage growth and keeping the standards of craft producers through many aspects such as providing research, advice and planning services
- To guide, orientate and assist groups of existing craft producers in producing, managing and marketing their crafts using modern methods
- To control, elevate and modify the quality as well as fixing the standards of craft produce for the domestic and international markets; and
- To develop the marketing and exportation of craft products.